What do you do if you have a minor collision with another vehicle on the road? If you have been in a car smash and need a quote to repair your car contact us HERE and we will be happy to help you with a brand new hire car while your car is being repaired, or we offer free pick up and delivery.
First 30 seconds:
1. Stay in the car
2. Put your emergency flashers and headlights on full beam
3. Switch off the engine
4. Apply the handbrake
5. Take deep breaths
6. Check your passengers, especially children and old people are OK
Second 30 seconds, if no-one is more than shaken up:
1. Check for signs of aggression from the other driver
2. If other driver is aggressive, stay in the car and call the Police
3. If other driver is behaving in a reasonable way then open your door and get out
4. Remember that everyone has elevated adrenaline levels in this situation and strive to think – calm
5. Call the police
Next 4 minutes:
1. Consider whether your passengers are safer inside the car or outside
2. Ask nearby drivers for their details and if they would be willing to act as witnesses
3. Talk to the other driver, but never admit any responsibility for the accident
4. Leave the car where it is, until the police have arrived, even if it is causing an obstruction
Next 5 minutes:
1. Take photographs of cars and licence plates. Discretely try to include the other driver in your shots
2. Take photos of the junction and road layout where the accident happened. Include road condition and weather
3. Make notes. Was the other car driving with headlights? Was the other driver wearing glasses, or sunglasses? Did the other driver seem distracted by children or anything else in the car. Was the other driver drinking, using a phone or smoking when the accident happened?
Next 15 minutes:
1. By now the police should have arrived. Answer their questions and stay calm
2. Tell the police officer of any observations that are relevant, such as if the other driver was using a phone, or had no lights on
3. Move your vehicle once the Police officer has completed any measurements or other necessary observations.
4. Ask the Police officer what the next stage is. Will there be any charges?
5. The police officer may give you an indication whether your vehicle is safe to drive home
6. Make sure the police officer gives you an Incident Number and his or her name and number
7. If your vehicle cannot be driven call a vehicle recovery service
Call us at Essendon Panels if you are in our local area of Moonee Ponds, Pascoe Vale South or anywhere near us, and we will contact your insurance company for you. We can arrange a quote, a pick up/drop off, and request a brand new hire car for you too.
Avoid taking instructions from an insurance company direct about your repairs, as their main concern is to save money, whereas your concern should be getting the best repair for your car to save money later on re-sale value of your car.
Call us anytime on (03) 9379 7349 and one of our friendly staff will be able to help you from here.
THE ESSENDON PANEL TEAM